Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pet Peeves, Part 1

Everyone has pet peeves, and I'm no exception to the rule. Noisy eaters, the smackers and slurpers, I could smack you alongside your heads.
But I went to college and earned a degree in English, and I definitely get peevish about some mistakes I see repeatedly. Now, I know I make errors and I definitely have my writing quirks. I love me some ellipses ... for starters ... and I'm definitely dash crazy. I love to start sentences with now, well, and so on.
There are a few things that I see that really grate on me. One newer one (to me) is "advanced payment required." It's not "advanced," but rather it should be "advance payment." I don't know if people aren't learning proper English in school -- I have read theories about most kids now being prepped to ace tests and not grammar 101 -- but nonetheless, that irritates the hell out of me.
Apostrophes are another annoyance. So many people misuse them that I am on the verge of launching a campaign to have them eradicated from writing. I'd rather see no apostrophes used at all at this point. My husband, another English major, says they should stay, sort of as a marker of punctuation ineptitude. Or maybe it just gives us English majors something to look down upon, since we have often been the butt of jokes. You know the one: English major? Get ready to start asking people if they'd like fries with their order.
I'm not sure if I have enough fight in me for apostrophe perfection, though. Facebook may have weakened any last resolve on that one. While it's a great source of information, it also makes me wonder if we should take a GED exam every five years. And to be honest, I'm sure I'd flunk the algebra portion. (If that's even on the GED; frankly, I admit I don't know.) Now I probably have incurred the wrath of some math geeks. I suppose that's only fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment